Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

A toast to an excellent New Year!  Unfortunately all your wishes of good luck (that I'm sure you gave me) for an exciting new year didn't quite pan out.  Let's just say that Djemma el Fna is no Macy's fireworks spectacular.  I spent the last day of 2009 at the Marrakech Museum and the Ben Youssef Medersa.  The museum is housed in a late 19th century palace that was built for the defense minister of Moulay Abdelziz.  The collection is small but there was an exhibit of stunning modern collages.  From there I headed to the Ben Youssef Medersa which is an old koranic school.  The medersa was built in the 16th century and is beautifully adorned with intricate carvings and tile work.  After that I made a quick trip through the souk; needless to say I want one of everything.  On my way to have a mint tea before heading home to shower I was groped by some old letch who pretended to trip and fall on to me and started grabbing for body parts, of course I shoved him, told him to F_ _ _ OFF and then spun around and followed up with a world class flip off and an extra  F _ _ _ YOU!  I had dinner at my usual place Cafe Toubkal and then went back home to read for awhile before the exciting New Year's Eve festivities began.  Surprisingly I fell asleep but woke up around 11:15 in just enough time to get may ass in gear and head out to Djemma el Fna and see how Moroccans ring in the new year.  The square was packed with people and I thought something big was going to happen.  The monkey handlers were handling their monkeys, the dancers were dancing, the snake charmers were charming...you get the picture and at the stroke of midnight the food vendors cheered and turned off their lights and started tearing down their stalls, that was it.  I lie, there were about three bottle rockets that some local kids shot off.  Suddenly every one started to leave. 2010, Morocco style.  I did hear of some fancy parties you could pay to attend in the Ville Nouvelle but I wasn't interested in or dressed for that.  Jill arrives tonight and we are here for a couple more days then we are taking the train to Fes so you won't hear from me for awhile.  Here are some pics of what I saw the last day of 2009.  Happy New Year.  Peace out...Jan  











0 comments: